As a palm weaver I have met many interesting and strange people and seen many interesting and strange things.
When I first started I would go to Horton Plaza in the gaslamp of San Diego after work to weave palms. I was mainly there to make extra money so I could buy lunch at work the next day and also to meet people and flirt with cute girls.
Is the real reason I learned how to make roses in the first place.
I can;t begin to tell you how many women over the years I have met face to face because of the rose. While working there one day a man walked up and said hey I can do that, you are doing it wrong. His name is Pablo.
He showed me how to make a different rose, and also how to make a cross and a heart, and from time to time we would work together.
After learning these things along with a couple of other little tricks I went to the harbor one day to see if I could find Cris the man who taught me.
he wasn't there, as a matter of fact there wast anyone there, that performed or signed for money either. So I decided why not and I weaved that day. I made 100 dollars, so I came back the next day and made almost 200 and then I came back again and made another 50 or so. I was stoked, as on the weekend I made more then I had working all week at my normal job.. Not long after this, I was given an ultimatum at my job, I told my boss he could shove it because I could make it on my own. I started working the palms full time.
I had many things to learn still, but due to a family member passing away I had to leave California for a little while and return home to Texas.
When I made it back to San Diego, I decided to try again, and have been living off making roses and other items out of palms for a long time. I also started displaying my art as I make it, paintings and such and selling art work as well.
Over the years I have met people from different parts of the world, and they showed me tricks of trade. I bought books and learned secrets from them, and I have seen pictures of things other people make online and some of those things I figure out just by looking at. I have even created a variety of my own things along the way.
I have also taught myself how to play guitar, and I have taught myself how to do the spray paint space painting art. All becasue I had a passion to move this way.
so let not you dreams be stopped by anything because if you believe in yourself you can make it through life. and if you let you faith in what ever you believe take you through life, nothing ca stop you. you may find times when things may slow you down, but there is nothing that is impossible if you believe and you try to find a way as there is always a way.
No comments:
Post a Comment